Saturday, October 21, 2006

Readings for Class Oct 24

Hello all,

I hope your week(end) has been of the fantastic variety. We have two things to read this week: first, I want you to re-read (or, for most of you read) the essay in Writing About Art on Whistler Mother (pg 16) and this essay HERE. We will be talking about essay introductions this week, so I have provided a neat handout for you to please print off and bring to class:

INTRODUCTION HANDOUT

Opening an Essay

Most of your essays will open with a paragraph that draws readers from their world into your world. A good opening paragraph usually satisfies several requirements:

It focuses readers' attention on your subject and arouses their curiosity about what you have to say.
It specifies what your topic is and implies your attitude.
Often it states your thesis sentence.
It is concise and sincere.

To grab readers' attention, you have a number of options. Some strategies for opening paragraphs:

State the subject Ask a question
Use a quotation Make a historical comparison or contrast
Relate an incident Describe a problem or dilemma
Create an image Describe an anecdote

The most common introduction forms a kind of funnel: it starts generally with a statement or question about the subject, clarifies or narrows the subject in one or more sentences, and then, in the thesis sentence, asserts the central idea of the essay.

Example:

Canada is pink. I knew that from the map I owned when I was six. On it, New York was green and brown, which was true as far as I could see, so there was no reason to distrust the map maker's portrayal of Canada. When my parents took me across the border and we entered the immigration booth, I looked excitedly for the pink earth. Slowly it dawned on me; this foreign, different place was not so different. I discovered that the world in my head and the world at my feet were not the same.
ROBERT ORNSTEIN, Human Nature

When writing and revising an introductory paragraph, avoid the following approaches that are likely to bore readers or make them question your sincerity or control. Opening paragraphs to avoid:

Don't reach too far with vague generalities or truths, such as those beginning, "Throughout human history" or "In today's society" You may have needed a warm up paragraph to start drafting, but your readers can do without it.
Don't start with, The purpose of this essay is,In this essay I will, or any similar flat announcement of your intention or topic.
Don't refer to the title of the essay in the first sentence.
Don't start with According to Webster's or a similar phrase leading to a dictionary definition. A definition can be an effective springboard to an essay, but this kind of lead-in has become dull with overuse.
Don't apologize for your opinion or for inadequate knowledge.

Handout courtsey of J. Sampirisi

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home